Monday, January 22, 2018

Mississippi Lodge No. 147

Before I had come to Almonte, the only encounter of any kind which I had had with the Masons took place at the Chateau Laurier Health Club in Ottawa. One of the members of the Club was a police officer, and as we sat melting in the steam room he told me that he had been inducted into one of the local chapters of the Masons. When I asked me what it was all about, he replied that he really could not tell me anything because it was a very secretive organization. I let the matter drop, since I saw I would not get anything further from him on the matter, and anyway it did not sound like the type of association I would like to cultivate.

However, a couple of years after my arrival in Almonte, I got a different introduction to the Masons. The occasion was a visit to the local liquor store, which was then piloted by a well-known and popular Almonte resident, Harry Walker. While I was paying my account, Harry asked me about the watch fob attached to my pocket watch. Not realizing the full significance of his enquiry, and not really knowing anything precise about the fob, I simply responded something about it having belonged to my paternal grandfather. Harry commented that it contained the well known symbols of Masonry, the square and the compass, which was by far more than I knew about it. I of course confirmed (if in fact it needed confirmation) that I was not a member of the Masons, nor did I have any other knowledge about the Masons. Within a short while, I had received a form of application for admission to the local Lodge. My sponsors were Harry Walker and J. C. (“Jack”) Smithson (who at the time was the local Registrar of Deeds).

There are many commendable things that can be said about Masonry, but one of the features that I have noticed more often than not is the effect it has had upon people in the public-speaking department. Many of the newly initiated members of the Craft have had few occasions on which to practice public address. However, within a very short time of becoming a member, most (if not in fact all) members acquire an enviable facility in running a meeting and handling all the official tasks which are so prevalent in any Masonic meeting. The man who was once shy and retiring has become positively aggressive by comparison; and no longer does he speak in hushed tones, but rather speaks out audibly for the benefit of all to hear (and some of the older members need a bit of help in this respect). This metamorphosis is not due entirely to having an opportunity to be a leader, but also results from the very charitable nature of the environment in which the task is undertaken. While there is an obvious duty to cultivate one’s allotted “chair”, it is nonetheless apparent that there is no competitive nature to the task at hand. Rather, the brethren provide encouragement and support at every level.

Masonry is, of course, known for other things:

It is not surprising that I felt the way I did tonight. I’ve always been sort of old- fashion, out-of-date, a bit like a relic from the past. And so it was that when I drove out of Almonte this evening after my piano lesson, in my Buick Park Avenue, I felt as though I was trotting off to the City in a horse and buggy to attend a Lodge meeting at Temple Lodge, under the direction of Worshipful Master Dalton Caldwell. Dalton is a great supporter of Mississippi Lodge, my Mother Lodge; and it was for that reason, more than for the evening of planned Masonic education, that I took the
-101- trouble to go into Ottawa this evening.

I brought greetings to Dalton from Jack Smithson, one of our most active and long- standing members.

During the social half-hour which followed the meeting, I was asked by Dalton to reply to the toast to the visitors, which I did. During the lunch, I spoke to Tommy Thompson, who I learned went to law school when he was 43. He’s now 60, and says he will retire in two years, but I told him I didn’t think he would.

I also spoke briefly with Howard Polk, the immediate past Grand Master of Ontario. I know Howard from the days when he was Clerk of the County Court in Ottawa, when I articled and practised there with Macdonald, Affleck. Those seem like long- past times. I never warmed to the Ottawa environment, at least for working purposes. Compare that to the way I feel about Almonte and even the Court House at Perth.

The things which one learns from Masonry, the exposure to fraternity, brotherly love, etc., make me mindful of how many young men there are who could profit by such an experience. I am distressed by the fact that so many young people grow up being exposed to nothing more than the need for an education and to make money. There is a whole other world of challenge and experience which so many of them will never know, mostly because of ignorance, and the fear of derogating form the eternal path of selfish gain and pursuit. It is the inward man which commends him to Masons. And so it should be for all others. Bur direction, guidance and encouragement are needed. None of us is so strong as to be able to develop the inward man without that help from others. It surprises me that certain evangelical religions condemn Masonry. I have not discovered anything in Masonry which is not worthy of the most pious and commendable person. It certainly does not attempt or pretend to replace any religion. There are perhaps some historical taints to Masonry, but I have not heard much of those. They do not figure in today's Lodges. My only reservation about Masonry, and it isn't that important, is that I do not entirely understand why so much of our ritual must be kept guarded so secretly. The best I can say for that is that it is a personal matter to the Lodge members, and is no more the business of others than one's financial affairs are.

No comments:

Post a Comment