Thursday, January 24, 2019

Frontispiece

“It is not often that I am able to extricate myself long enough from my daily concerns to reflect upon and think about my past. This evening, I am especially reminded about my life at St. Andrew’s College, where I went to school from the age of 14 to 18. It was clearly the most important period of my life, aside from the past five years in Almonte. And, in a way, I think of both periods with much the same heart. I received today a recording of songs and instrumentals from SAC in recognition of my financial contributions over the past few years. The boys singing in the Chapel made me particularly happy. I remember those warm summer evenings (or, Spring evenings, I guess I should say). The football field, the fraternity, the hard work, the early mornings, the good Masters. It was a very rich life. Very rich. The flood of memories is almost staggering. The school ties blowing in the wind, the colours, even the smelly locker rooms. The religious backdrop is also very dear to me. How I wish that I could remember every moment in a flash. Life was so full of excitement and discovery.
St. Andrew’s was of course very sheltered from the world. But, even by comparison, I feel that Almonte is the same. I have no desire to enter into a comparative analysis of the two. I love Almonte very much. The associations which I have here are equally important to me. And everything from the morning breakfast club to the late night work at the Office make me happy.

There is a weekend coming up, starting tomorrow, and I hope that I can enjoy some sunshine and exercise for a change. Even though things are still extremely slow at the Office, I have somehow managed to stay up late every night this week. I saw three Clients this evening alone.

My head is spinning a little these days. Perhaps it is just because I am tired. I am always so anxious to attack problems. Things are constantly a challenge, anyway. I love to talk about business. There are so many things that I would like to write about, but there is always so much happening that it is impossible to stop the wheel long enough. So it keeps going. I am fascinated by events in this Town. I like to be a part of them as much as possible. And everyday, one more thing is done, and I add to the memories which I am sure one day will be very dear to me.”

Diary of L. G. William Chapman on March 5, 1981.



One should absorb the color of life, but one should never remember its details. Details are always vulgar.

OSCAR WILDE

No comments:

Post a Comment